Re: Advice please: Standard verus Rotating Pier Adapter

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Jeff,

That reinforces my decision to stay with RPA's on both tripod and fixed pier.

Actually, I had also considered having a machinist (horizontally &
vertically) "notch out" the pier mounting holes in two of my Flat Surface
Adapter (FSA), - one on the post, the other on the tripod - and leave a
"single RPA" attached to the fork, along with partially screwed in, (6) thumb
screws, so I could easily drop and twist the fork/RPA into either "slotted
FSA", just like a Losmandy G11 does into it's pier adapter. Then I figured it
is "almost" as easy as fiddling with those four screw in knobs on the fork (if
I don't lose one on the ground/snow). Besides, the RPA is pretty heavy, and
that would just about be a deal breaker for carrying weight, which was one of
the major factors, when I decided to upgrade from my two week old G11.

Appreciate this,

Joe