Re: Advice please: Standard verus Rotating Pier Adapter

Kent Kirkley

In a message dated 4/17/07 12:45:50 PM, J.Zeglinski@rogers.com writes:

Hi,

    I would appreciate some advice about using the SPA versus RPA. I
recently
purchased the RPA with my new AP900, since it looked like a better, wiser,
choice. Now I am considering a second pier adapter, for an alternative
permanent fixed pier.

    I see how my RPA works , but I wonder, what are the difficulties with
using the Standard pier adapter, which made the RPA a more desirable,
somewhat
more expensive, option? I intend on transferring the AP900 between a field
tripod, and the permanent post in the yard, so the small inconvenience of
simply "loosening" the four hold down knobs for the Standard adapter fine
adjustment, may not justify the price difference, for me. There must be some
other aspect, or convenience, of using the RPA, I may have missed.

Much appreciated,
Joe
Joe:
I believe the Revolving Pier Adapter was produced primarily for those who
don't have a permanent pier and set up and tear down, either in their own yards
or some remote site. While the original standard pier adapter works great, when
doing polar alignment, loosening and tightening the 4 screws can slightly
shift the alignment. With the RPA, this doesn't happen, making polar alignment
less time consuming.

Kent Kirkley

See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.