From: "MarkK" <MailYahoo@Tampabay.rr.com>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 10:16 PM
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Balance of an AP 1200

Some years ago at the WSP I was asking this same question

A few of the people who were also Engineers had dome some mathematical
calculations on this, and found that if you put the bulk of the weight close
to the pivot point and then a lighter weight at the end there was less
stress at the pivot point and in fact less stress on the mechanism. This
held true even if this configuration made it necessary to put more weight in
order to counter balance since the majority of the balance weight was being
pushed closed to the pivot point.

So for years I have always had the weights all the way up to the pivot point
and one 10 lb weight close to the bottom for the fine balance. On my 1200
mount I even needed (6) 18lbs and then (1) 10lbs in order to balance with
the configuration this way.

Mark