Re: questions from a possible 900GTO owner

Gjanek@...

any picture, or drawings you could make during construction would be appreciated. My neighbor owns a machine shop.
Thanks Gil

From: "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@rogers.com>
Hi,

Everything for an AP900 is extra, to make the price easier to take when
you first see it, I suppose. Would be nice if there were a check box order
sheet of "essential items", when you buy their mounts. After all, you have to
have some counter weights, unless the AP900 is for tour snapshot camera, and
you can't just attach it to a stub at the end of the DEC axle :-)
It's sort of having a sit down meal at a restaurant, and asked if you will be
requiring a plate and cutlery.

I'm going to make an G11 pier converter for myself, as soon as the new
AP900 arrives.
Actually, before I got the unexpected notification, I bought a Losmandy G11
Meade MA tripod adapter, which is just the short tube section at the very top
6 inches or so of the standard G11 pier. My intent was to use it on my
favourite tripod head, instead of the standard Losmandy one. Then, get a
second MA for a permanent G11 pier in the yard. I really like the design of
the Losmandy pier top.

Well, I have looked at all the combinations, and decided that the Meade
Adapter (MA), is still a good accessory, with it's Losmandy "drop-in-slot-and
twist" top for a G11. The way I see it, its is a trivial machining task to
make an AP900 to Losmandy MA, "step down, conversion ring" - at most, about 3
inches tall, with the AP's 6 button "post" screws for the bottom of the AP900.
Then, simply tap 3 holes (3/8-16), for the Losmandy optional mount knob set,
on the 8 inch to 6 inch step down ring, to drop into either the Losmandy
tripod, or into the Losmandy Meade tripod Adapter (MA). That solves a lot of
issues, especially if you don't like the AP portable pier style compared to
the Losmandy tripod.

AP should be selling this "trivial" item - they already sell other
Losmandy dovetails and plates.

Joe