Re: 16" LX200R on an AP1200

Barbara Harris <barbharris1@...>

Gavin,
I have a LX200GPS OTA on an AP1200 with a Televue Pronto as a
guidescope permanently mounted in an observatory and it handles the
weight just fine. I am not sure of the wt. difference between the
LX200 and the LX200R but I would not rely on Meade for that info.
They
really could not give me an accurate wt. of the OTA only (I think
they
quoted 120 lbs.). They are use to the whole setup and usually will
quote you the OTA and fork arms wt. When I weighed my assembly I
think it was around 80 lbs. for the OTA only. Anyway, the mount has
no
trouble handling the weight. I have the scope mounted with a
Losmandy
dovetail.

Barbara

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Gav" <gavbray@...> wrote:

I'm considering mounting a 16" LX200R on my new AP1200. I believe
the
OTA weight is 110 lbs.

By the time accessories etc are added this would be close to the
advertised capacity limit of 140 lbs.

This concerns me and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice as to
whether this would be a suitable match or whether I'd be better
with
14" SCT (70 lbs). The scope would be used for visual work only and
housed in an observatory.

Is the extra 2" going to cause more problems than it's worth?

Thanks
Gavin