Re: 16" LX200R on an AP1200

Jeff Young <jey@...>

"jeybball" and Jeff Young are the same guy.

It's a long story, but I worked for a Unix company back before the whole
world had email, and so everyone used their initials for their email.
Mine are "jey". I first used Yahoo to manage a fantasy basketball with
a friend -- thus "jeybball". Later, it seemed like too much trouble to
create another account....

In any case, Gavin already found me on CloudyNights (where I go by the
somewhat simpler "Jeff Young").

But to answer the question directly, I'd be very much surprised if the
16" LX200R OTA were really 110 lbs. Meade quotes the GPS version at 120
lbs, but that includes the Dec axis trunions and drive system, which you
won't have. In any case, my 16" GPS OTA weighs on the order of 85 lbs
-- I'd expect the R version to be within 10% of that.

I'm using Parallax rings and the AP 15" ribbed plate, which likely add
another 15 lbs. The dovetail, rings and refractor on top are likely
good for another 20 lbs. Figure 120 lbs all told. I'm comfortable
enough with those weights on it that I'm considering going to a
considerably heavier OTA....

-- Jeff.