From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Rick K
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:41 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] Re:New member - advice on switching from G11 to AP900

In my scenario, if you don't move the RA or Dec from where they were
'parked', even if you take the mount off the pier and disassemble the
axis, when you put it back together, you won't even have to do a sync.
Basically it is as if the mount never moved off of the pier. I usually
park the mount in a known position and take everything apart leaving
the adapter plate on a permanent pier. When I put everything back
together, one day or one month later, I can resume from park and do a
goto on an object and it will be close to dead center in an eyepiece
or on a CCD chip. If nothing was moved on the mount then it will be as
if it never left the pier.
If I am using a portable pier as I do with the Mach1, I can get
almost the same level of accuracy if I am careful in polar aligning.
Unfortunately the portable pier gets set up in different spots in my
back yard to view different portions of the sky or avoid some direct
lighting, so I normally have to adjust the azimuth. If I am careful to
level the pier properly, I don't have to adjust the mount's altitude
setting.
In your scenario, if the pier is permanent and the RA and or Dec axis
are manually moved after parking and prior to re-powering, yes, the
mount will have to be re-synchronized but polar alignment should not
have to be changed unless the pier has changed somehow.
I am not sure of the accuracy of the clock in the keypad. I know that
it is quite good, but like all clocks, none are perfect and all must
be adjusted at some point.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups. <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Joseph
Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi Rick,

Much appreciated.

It's actually O.K. to completely lose RA &DEC position - even
remove the
DEC axle, I think.
What I worried about was losing "site alignment" - the Az/El of the
mount,
which would take more time realigning each time.

My idea is that I can reassemble the mount - follow your
suggestion about
dropping the fork against the adjuster original position - and
perform a SYNC,
or is it Recalibrate - and I am quickly back up and running. This
should work,
shouldn't it?

About the "internal time" though; Doesn't the pad processor keep
accurate
time using the coin battery? I suppose that in two or three years,
the CR
Lithium battery will run down, and the time will stop, but surely
not before
then?

Thanks,
Joe