Re: New member - advice on switching from G11 to AP900

Joel

Joe,

I have both mounts--G-11/Gemini and AP900GTO. They are both fine mounts. The AP900 has higher capacity and has more refined mechanical components leading to more accurate unguided tracking. The electronics of both mounts are very advanced. The Gemini system offers one advantage--modeling of the sky as celestial objects are synched, thus allowing accurate GOTO's even though the polar alignment is not perfect. However, the AP electronic system allows interfacing with other programs, including T-Point which does sky modeling. Also the AP hand controller is easier to use than the Gemini controller.

As far as switching the mounts from one location to another, there is no real difference. For the AP900GTO you would buy two pier adapters, one for each of your piers. Then you could lift the the mount from one to the other by removing and reinstalling the four hand screws that attach the AP900 to the pier adapter. You may have to do some fine tuning of the azimuth adjusters, same as with the G-11.

I have found both mounts to be very accurate for guided imaging. If you are going to carry more than 35 lbs on the mount the AP900 will be better. For example, my G-11 is maxed out with my C-14, while the AP900 handles it with ease and is soild as a rock.

Hope this helps.

Joel