Re: New member - advice on switching from G11 to AP900

roy <roystarman@...>

You can remove the AP900 mount form the pier by loosening 4 knobs. The pier
can remain and adapter plate can remain. The adapter plate doesn't have any
drilled through holes so they won't let stuff get down inside. I think you
should go to the AP site and download the manual for more details. You also
do not to have to full disassemble the mount for transport. I leave the Dec
housing attached and simply take off the counter weight and shaft. You may
loose your azimuth adjustment when doing this taking the mount off since you
have to loosen one of the screws. You can minimize that though by a marker
or some thing similar to mark the one screw and only loosen the other. When
you put the mount back together, use the mark to make sure you first screw
has not moved and then snug up the second to the azimuth adjustment block.
This should get you to back within a minute of where you took it apart. In
comparison to the G-11 it is indeed a Mercedes vs. a Chevrolet. An AP 900
in good running order will track within +/- 5 arc seconds and have a very
smooth periodic error. The bearing surface of the mount is larger and is
much less susceptible to a slight misbalance. With a TAK FSQ 106N My
periodic error is guided out and I rarely turn on PEC, but when I do it the
mount runs about 1.2 rms. I probably can't do better than that with the FSQ
as the scope for doing the polar alignment.. You will discover that you
polar alignment will be much better as the adjustments are easier and more
accurate than the G-11. I think the G-11 Semi-pier tripod is a great design
but the throat is too small for a 900 which is designed to use a 8 inch
pier. Perhaps you know someone who can make an adapter?

_____