Re: Paramount ME vs. AP 1200GTO

planetary_hunter

I do visual work and find a pointing model to be very useful for
improving accuracy with a less than perfectly aligned AP900. It has
nothing to do with bragging rights and everything to do with locating
an object at the edge of detection. I understand the mount is
mechanically capable of incredible pointing accuracy when the RA axis
is nearly perfectly polar aligned and the telescope OTA is
orthogonal. But when you have 2 hours and must set up from scratch
there is not much time for achieving this alignment perfection. In
this case having a model to continually improve accuracy while you
observe makes sense.

I use the PDA version of The Sky with TPoint and it improves the
pointing enough to ensure the object is very near the center of the
field with a casual setup of my AP900. Having this capability in the
hand control would be more useful because there is one less device
and fewer things to go wrong. TPoint also provides the ability to
tweak various model parameters for even greater accuracy but I just
use the default parameters and find it works fine. Hopefully the AP
implementation will make it simple and easy to use.

Bryan

--- In ap-gto@..., "David B. Toth" <ve3gyq@...> wrote:

You can still use TPoint with your scope with a computer ... you do
not need to have a pointing model in your hand-controller.
And if you are doing visual work only, it is unlikely that you
would
need a pointing model. If you are doing CCD work, I am sure that
you
can place objects on a chip without a pointing model with a 1200
mount. TPoint would certainly make it more likely that it would be
centered however. However, if you were doing CCD work, you'd have a
computer anyway so you COULD use TPoint for pointing.

So the point is, if you are using a hand-controller, it is likely
that you are doing visual work, and a pointing model in that case
simply gives you bragging rights and really will contribute little
your viewing enjoyment.

Enjoy your mount, worry less.

Dave