Re: Paramount ME vs. AP 1200GTO

Jeff Young <jey@...>

Rob --

I have an AP1200GTO in a 10' TI dome. I used to spend hours drift
aligning my fork mounts, but I've never done anything more than a
quick and dirty alignment using the polar scope with the AP.

I tried shimming the tube for orthogonality, but a 0.005" piece of
brass shimstock was larger than the orthogonality error (this had to
be dumb luck -- there's no way my OTA and rings were fabricated with
that kind of precision).

My OTA is a big SCT, which has some mirror flop (probably on the
order of a couple of arc-minutes), and a horrendously long focal
length (about 4450mm with rotator and focuser on the back).

While I'm one of those people that nag Roland for a pointing model,
there's really no reason (other than that it would be cool). I've
never had a target placed outside a 26mm T5, even with all the above
caveats.

Oh, and I also find that a GLP works well as a finder. I did have
to place a dew-heater strip under mine, as the output of mine falls
off dramatically around 2°C, but the heater has eliminated that
problem. But the biggest advantage of the GLP is that in Ireland I
often observe in partly-cloudy conditions, and when the veiw starts
to go fuzzy I can turn the GLP on for a second and quickly see
(without having to getting up from my seat) whether or not I'm
getting obscured by clouds.

-- Jeff.

--- In ap-gto@..., "sreilly" <sreilly@...> wrote:

Rob,

The last time I was at your observatory, granted some time ago, I
remember
the mount being center of the dome. Regardless, it's a ten foot
dome. If
perfect pointing in an issue and you don't want to use the
computer with any
modeling, what Roland is suggesting is fast and simple. I'm not
sure what Ed
may have shown you last week, but his Polar alignment was done by
me using
PoleAlignMax , PEM was programmed by using the included PemPro
using
multiple guider cycles. Earlier issues with pointing was corrected
when I
had him check his location setup in his hand controller, TheSky,
ACP and
other programs he was using and making then identical in all
programs. His
pointing is great now.

If you are thinking ME, how can you not use the computer to have T-
Point
model active? After having just set up your Gemini G11, what is
the rush to
get another mount other than the obvious move up in mounts?

Steve