From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...] On Behalf Of
chris1011@...
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:24 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Paramount ME vs. AP 1200GTO

In a message dated 2/22/2007 6:35:57 PM Central Standard Time, W3DX@...
writes:

If A-P had the product in stock and had the pointing model in the
hand controller, it would make this a very easy decision for me. I
already own/use TPoint from the computer, but having a pointing
model up and running on the hand controller would be great for
visual observing when the computer is turned off.
In an observatory situation you may never need a pointing model. You can set

up your scope to be quite orthogonal and well polar aligned, so the only
error
would come from atmospheric refraction, and that is already compensated in
the keypad. In my own observatory I have set up a 10" F14.6 Mak-Cass
permanently, and I never fail to place objects in the field of a medium
power eyepiece. I
don't ever use a pointing model and have never failed to find something
right
off the bat. It is a simple thing to place a bright star on the crosshair at

the beginning of the session, press Rcal and then zoom around the area with
pretty high precision. When I go to any other area of the sky, I first go to
bright star in the area, center it if it is off, and proceed to the object I

want to observe. It takes almost no time to do that. I have a green laser
setup
on the scope, so I don't even have to look through the finder. The laser
beam
is as accurate as any 1x finder system, and prevents craning my neck at odd
angles.
A pointing model is most useful for those mounts that need to be set up each

night fresh, but for a permanent setup it is not all that necessary (except
for those using teeny tiny chips with loooong scopes like C14s).

Rolando

AOL now offers free email to
everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.

Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities.
Links

Join {main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.