Re: M81 and M82 Images with Traveler and 155EDFS

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Andy,

I currently use a JMI DRO focuser controlled through 100 feet of cable.
However, I am planning soon to move to the RoboFocus product from HomeDome
to take my automation one step further.

When establishing polar alignment (my setup is temporary) I only use the
minimum 6 stars. After I obtain a polar alignment within one arc-minute
I do one more run of about a dozen stars then every time I image a new
target I add a map point for it. Typically I get an RMS of around 40
arc-sec,
although this last time I'm at just over 20 arc-sec.

Two things worth mentioning: 1) this is with my 155EDFS refractor, AP Rings,
and
AP 18" Heavy duty mounting plate, and ST-8E CCD camera sitting on my 1200GTO
mount,
so there is no mirror flop and I'm "overmounted", and 2) I use the shortest
AP pier
made so that the mount is as stable as possible.

-Ray