Re: AP 1200 and Tpoint

Dr. David Toth

At 03:50 PM 10/8/2006, Rick K wrote:
Yes, but in this case there is NON-repeatable error on top of the
uncorrected repeatable error. This is the crux of the problem. So, one
has to discover the source of the non-repeatable error and the best
way to do that in my opinion is to bite the bullet and manually get
rid of the repeatable errors first. Then one can try and figure out
what is really going wrong and the source of the non-repeatable
errors. This may not be the easiest method to use, nor is it the only
method to use, but it sure works a heck of a lot better than the
shotgun or guess and by golly approach in my mind.
Well, since non-orthogonality is corrected by TPoint you can skip that. Likewise, repeatable errors need not be corrected mechanically since TPoint will model them out.
You are under-estimating the difficulty in correcting non-orthogonality, etc. More power to you if you enjoy doing that though.

You need to look for loose parts that are shifting, things that flop, like mirrors or lenses loose in their cells, and if portable, assure that the pier is not shifting.

Dave