Re: mechanical home capability

Bob Denny

Walt Cooney:
One advantage the Paramount has over the AP-1200 for true robotic
operation is
the mechanical home switches that allow the system to be sent to a known
position even after it gets lost for whatever reason.
It's a 2-edged sword. AFAIK (customer inputs to me) you MUST home a
Paramount whenever you cold-start it. On the other hand, you can
simply turn off the power to the AP with it pointing anywhere. As long
as the software (ASCOM driver, PulseGuide) does the "right" thing, it
will power up in place and know where it is. This is a major advantage.

That's not a substitute for a home sensing system as needed if the
mount "gets lost". But given the experiences of my customers who have
APs, the mount very rarely GETS lost (well as long as it's left alone
and manipulated via the HBX or computer).

-- Bob