Re: GOTO Mounts, Ease of use

MarkDambrosio@...

markdambrosi-@... wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=132
markdambrosi-@... wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=129

Hi Mark,

The 54" pier should be fine for most observing. Most of
the time you can be sitting and part of the time you may
want to stand or lean on a ladder.

At this time I have an older 56" pier and mount I use with my
180EDT.
It is just a little longer fl than your APOMAX.

If you want to be looking straight overhead most the time then you
may
want a longer pier.

Rich

Hi Folks, Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO
mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first
got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand
controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop) I'm hoping that they are
not
too much of a head scratcher!, Also which Semi-pier (In height)
would
you think to be suitable for the Apomax 5.2" F-12 refractor? (OTA
about
60" Long) Thanks, Mark
Hi Rich, I get the feeling the 54" pier may be too short, even with
the 1200 head upon it. Although with the HGM-200 w/60" legs, near
horizon viewing did require a short (24") stepladder, at the zenith, i
would be on my knees. Just about right for my tastes. (I like
standing)
I'll have to hope that someone will have a 7.1" EDT at Astrofest this
year, so i can better judge this. I don't believe Tom Back will be
bringing his. Mark
Also, this post brings another question to mind. Are the
accessories such as the polar scope, piers, counterweights usually
stock items. Saw a polar scope without illuminator on Astromart just
yesterday, and it was $275. (Thought new price was $250) This made me
think that these may be very hard to aquire. (Such as the Losmandy
scope currently) Mark