Re: GOTO Mounts, Ease of use

MarkDambrosio@...

markdambrosi-@webtv.net wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=129

Hi Mark,

The 54" pier should be fine for most observing. Most of
the time you can be sitting and part of the time you may
want to stand or lean on a ladder.

At this time I have an older 56" pier and mount I use with my 180EDT.
It is just a little longer fl than your APOMAX.

If you want to be looking straight overhead most the time then you may
want a longer pier.

Rich

Hi Folks, Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO
mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first
got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop) I'm hoping that they are
not
too much of a head scratcher!, Also which Semi-pier (In height) would
you think to be suitable for the Apomax 5.2" F-12 refractor? (OTA
about
60" Long) Thanks, Mark
Hi Rich, I get the feeling the 54" pier may be too short, even with
the 1200 head upon it. Although with the HGM-200 w/60" legs, near
horizon viewing did require a short (24") stepladder, at the zenith, i
would be on my knees. Just about right for my tastes. (I like standing)
I'll have to hope that someone will have a 7.1" EDT at Astrofest this
year, so i can better judge this. I don't believe Tom Back will be
bringing his. Mark